Almost everything around us involves numbers. From the point a person is born to the time he/she dies, we are all surrounded by numbers in some form or the other.
Playing with numbers is fun if you use a bit of imagination.
Counting, which is considered a vital preschool math skill is more bountiful than simply reciting numbers. Let’s get into the root of numbers for pre-schoolers!
Teaching your kid numbers can be a difficult task in the beginning, but it is great idea to begin introducing numbers to your kid after they turn one.
It is incredibly essential to get preschoolers to perceive that numbers are quantities; they learn all these skills as they count objects.
Teaching numbers to kids can be managed through different tools and techniques. As a parent, you can motivate them to associate numbers with activities that they perform daily.
These hands-on ideas will improve your preschooler’s count furthermore and generate a more enhanced understanding and knowledge for the numbers.
- One can start with the famous number of verses, like ‘One, Two, Buckle My Shoe,’ ‘Ten Green Bottles,’ or 1,2,3,4,5, Once I caught a fish alive’.
- You can also look out for easy things or objects that they find in their everyday experiences, such
as one apple, two dogs, three chocolates, and so on.
This way, you can make learning numbers for kids quite playful and enjoyable.
How to Teach Numbers to Preschoolers?
At the beginning level, you can start by teaching kids through various simple activities.
1) Teach Counting with Number Rhymes
One of the best ways to teach kids numbers is through rhymes and songs that make fun with
numbers in math.
One can make use of number songs and rhymes like ’10 Little Monkeys jumping on the Bed’, ‘This Old Man – He Played One’, etc., to teach children regarding numbers in an immensely delightful with your child.
2) Perform Number Games with a Group of Kids
Children absorb better while they continue to play with children of their age.
As a parent, you can promote some healthy engagement in the children’s club to motivate them, as well. Get them to assemble in the form of a circle, plus ask them to take turns counting numbers.
3) Write Down Numbers and Make the Kid Draw that Quantity
The best way to start this exercise is to pen down numbers in a sketchbook and make your kid
draw something that expresses the number.
For example, write number 5 and ask them to draw five flowers. Or wite number 2, and ask the kid to draw two apples. So on, and so forth.
You can also do the reverse of this by drawing certain amounts of an object and asking your kid to count them plus tell you the whole.
All the above activities hold a great strength in drawing with numbers for your kid and occupy
them with knowledge of adding numbers in words.
Number based Activities for Preschoolers
Several ABC recognition activities can likewise be adjusted for numbers.
1) Move out in nature and collect things that can make counting more interesting. E.g., Ask your
kid to collect 5 flowers, 3 leaves, etc.
2) Make use of paper balls and ask them to count.
3) Make something in the kitchen and ask them the measure and number of things required or
4) Spread out clothes on the balcony and ask them to identify the color of the cloth and its
5) Sort out objects by colors and count how many of them do you have
6) Play and learn while rolling a dice
7) Have a counting race of any objects
8) Spread out different numbers in a garden and ask children to grab the one specified.
Numbers are fun when you know the right form to get it delivered.
These are few ways on how you can engage your kid into the world of numbers by helping them out with various number game activities.
Till then, keep playing. Keep counting.
Stay tuned for more such articles. 🙂